LGBTQ people can and should pursue financial independence (FI)
Financial independence and early retirement are popular today, but LGBTQ financial independence isn’t. Here’s what it means and how it can change. Make that easier by getting the 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life here.
Hear how we can get more queer people to seek financial independence:
Are queer people seeking financial independence (FI)
Are you tired of working for someone else? Frustrated with being at the mercy of someone else’s schedule, decisions, as well as, mood swings? Financial independence (or FI) gives you the freedom to pick up and walk away.
So, why isn’t the LGBTQ community pursuing financial independence with the same vigor as the general population? And what can we do to change that?
On this episode of Queer Money® Podcast, we explain exactly what it means to achieve financial independence and how it’s different from being independently wealthy.
We explore the reasons why more of us aren’t FI-curious, describing how cascading homophobia and legacy financial exclusion make financial independence a little more challenging (but not impossible!) for the LGBTQ community.
Listen in for insight on initiating conversations on building wealth and learn where to go for inspiration and resources as you work toward financial independence!
- What it means to achieve financial independence (and how it’s different from being independently wealthy)
- How Robert Kiyosaki defines wealth as having investments that cover your living expenses
- The freedom that comes from not having to work for someone else
- How financial independence allowed John to walk away from a ‘bad boss’
- Why the queer community isn’t pursuing financial independence with the same vigor as the general population
- Why it’s a mistake to opt-out of smart investments because you distrust capitalism
- How cascading homophobia and legacy financial exclusion make it more challenging for the LGBTQ community to achieve financial independence
- What we can do to encourage more queer people to seek financial independence
- Where to go for inspiration and resources around achieving financial independence
Resources to reach financial independence
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- All Options Considered on Queer Money® EP160
- Modern Fimily on Queer Money® EP200
- Our Freedom Years on Queer Money® EP213
- Compassionate Capitalism
- Todd Sears on Queer Money® EP168
- Cascading Homophobia on Queer Money® EP230
- Legacy Financial Exclusion on Queer Money® EP268
- 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email: [email protected]
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- The Power in Aligning Our Values and Standards
- 5 Tips to Break Bad Financial Habits
- 9 Low-Cost Self-Care Options