What is Decolonizing Wellness?
Like it or not, food, diet, and appearance impact our finances and the way we feel about ourselves. Want to feel better about your finances? Start by getting rid of any credit card debt with the free, 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Steps to take to decolonize wellness
We live in a culture that emphasizes cisgender, heteronormative, and Eurocentric standards of beauty. So, how do we take steps to decolonize wellness? What if changing our relationship with food could change our relationship with ourselves?
Dalia Kinsey is the Holistic Registered Dietician and Keynote Speaker behind Kinsey Wellness & Communications. Dalia has done extensive research in the realm of food, diet, and appearance from a queer and BIPOC perspective, and Dalia shares that insight in the book, Decolonizing Wellness: A QTBIPOC-Centered Guide to Escape the Diet Trap, Heal Your Self-Image and Achieve Body Liberation.
Dalia describes how we’re trained to ignore and distrust our bodies, challenging us to use mindfulness to overcome that indoctrination and untangle our internalized, toxic messaging around food.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Dalia joins us to explain how the chronic stress of being marginalized impacts the health of the LGBTQ community, exploring what we can do to set boundaries around the people and circumstances that ramp up our anxiety.
Listen to our discussion with Dalia
- How the chronic stress of being marginalized impacts the health of the LGBTQ community
- How Dalia thinks about the body positivity movement’s intolerance for changing our bodies in any way
- Why it’s crucial to set boundaries around the people and circumstances that cause us stress
- How we’re trained to ignore and distrust our bodies and what we can do to overcome that indoctrination
- What it looks like to support queer, BIPOC, and local businesses even if you can’t spend money with them and why it’s so important
- Using mindfulness to untangle our internalized, toxic messaging around food
- Dalia’s concept of ‘scraping for status’ and why gay men, in particular, feel compelled to outperform
- How queer folks in the health and beauty space can guard against perpetuating the existing binary and white supremacist themes in their industry
- How to unwind the safety mechanisms we learned in childhood to hide who we really are
Connect with Dalia
Resources from this episode:
- Decolonizing Wellness: A QTBIPOC-Centered Guide to Escape the Diet Trap, Heal Your Self-Image and Achieve Body Liberation by Dalia Kinsey, RD, LD
- Wallet Activism: How to Use Every Dollar You Spend, Earn and Save As a Force for Change by Tanja Hester
- ‘What Does Tech Have to Do with It? Everything. The Case for Diversity of Thoughts’ in Fargo, INC!
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- How to Make Money Flipping Products
- How to Talk about Annuities with Mom & Dad
- How to Work with Your Spouse (and Still Love Them)
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on Youtube
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys (www.debtfreeguys.com) and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs and 3) save and invest for retirement.