What is ESG investing?
You want to invest, but you don’t want to invest in companies that add to the bad in the world. We’ve got you with this episode about ESG investing. Start your journey to financial independence by getting rid of any credit card debt with the free, 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Is ESG investing right for me?
So, you want to invest in the stock market. But you want to avoid investing in companies that harm the environment, violate workers’ rights or put people at risk. You know, things like firearms and tobacco. The solution is to invest in environmental, social and governance or ESG funds.
Certified Financial Planner Laura LaTourette is the Founder of Family Wealth Management, a financial planning and wealth management firm working to empower clients to live an authentic life and leave a legacy of love. Known on social media as ‘that lesbian financial planner,’ Laura is an expert in the realm of socially conscious investing and ESG funds.
On this episode of Queer Money, Laura joins us to describe what it means to be a socially responsible investor and how a company qualifies to be included in an ESG fund. Laura explains why you don’t have to sacrifice returns to invest in an ESG portfolio and explores the best resources for choosing an ESG that aligns with your values.
Listen in for Laura’s vision of a rainbow network that keeps money in the LGBTQ community and learn how to customize your investments based on what’s important to you!
Listen to Laura share her insights on ESG investing:
- What it means to be a socially responsible investor and why it’s gaining popularity
- How a company qualifies to be included in an ESG portfolio
- Why you don’t have to sacrifice returns to invest in environmental, social and governance funds
- Some of the reasons why a company might be removed from an ESG fund
- How to customize your investments based on your values
- Why some financial advisors are hesitant to adopt ESGs for their clients
- The pressure on companies to live up to ESG standards
- What ESG funds do to filter out rainbow-washing, wish cycling and turning a blind eye to workers’ rights
- The best resources for choosing an ESG specific to your values
- The movement to invest in small- and medium-sized companies or B Corps
- Why so many LGBTQ-focused funds haven’t been successful
- Laura’s aim to build a rainbow network that keeps money in the LGBTQ community
- The challenge of finding an LGBTQ financial planner/advocate for our community
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- The Economic Case for LGBT Equality
- 5 Reasons Why We’re Downsizing Our Home
- How to Retire Early When You Have Kids
Connect with Laura
- Amicus Brief in Support of LGBTQ Workers
- B Lab
- Harvard Paper on B Lab
- US|SIF Education Center
- FPA PridePlanners
- LGBTQ Elder Summit
- Email [email protected]
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Youtube
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Email [email protected]
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys (www.debtfreeguys.com) and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs and 3) save and invest for retirement.