What are self-directed IRAs?
Find out if self-directed IRAs are the retirement tool that may be a good tool for you. Then start your journey to financial independence by eliminating any credit card debt with the free 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Are you a good candidate for self-directed IRAs?
If you’re looking for tools to help you save for retirement, the self-directed IRA (SDIRA) may sound like a sexy option. Yes, the SDIRA has its advantages. It allows you to invest in alternatives to the market, like real estate, gold, crypto, and even horses! And it gives you a tax break on your earnings. But it’s an advanced strategy that doesn’t make financial sense for every investor.
Kirk Chisholm is Founder and Principal at Innovative Advisory Group, where he helps investors maximize their unique assets, protect their wealth from inflation, and retire better.
On this episode of Queer Money, Kirk joins us to discuss what you need to know about self-directed IRAs, explaining the rules around what investments you can and cannot put in a retirement account. Kirk describes who is a good candidate for SDIRAs and why they work best for people with expertise in a particular investment or asset class.
Listen in for Kirk’s insight on finding the best risk-reward tradeoffs and learn how to choose an asset first and THEN decide if it makes financial sense to invest through your retirement account.
Listen to get more insight on self-directed IRAs
Topics covered on self-directed IRAs
- How a self-directed IRA allows you to invest in alternatives to the stock market
- The rules re: what investments you cannot put in an IRA
- Who is a good candidate for a self-directed IRA (and who is not)
- Why Kirk suggests SDIRAs for people with expertise in a particular investment
- How SDIRA custodians can charge asset-based fees or by the transaction
- Why real estate is the most common asset people put in SDIRAs
- Choosing the easiest way to get the yield you want vs. focusing on a particular asset
- Kirk’s market outlook and advice on how to look at investing differently moving forward
- How Kirk looks at investing differently than people who focus on a single strategy
- The high number of unlicensed people in the SDIRA space
- Why you should choose an asset first and then decide whether to use your IRA
Connect with Kirk
- Innovative Wealth Management
- Money Tree Podcast
- Kirk Chisholm LinkedIn
Resources on self-directed IRAs
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on Youtube
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Email [email protected]
Watch this week’s episode on self-directed IRAs
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- How to Overcome FEAR in the Queer Community
- 5 Tips to Win at Infladating
- How to Build Wealth as First Generation Immigrants
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys (www.debtfreeguys.com) and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs and 3) save and invest for retirement.