Do you want to learn how to be a leader?
The LGBTQ+ community needs leaders now as much as ever. Are you that leader? Ash Beckham shares how to be a leader every day on this Queer Money®. Start your journey to financial independence by getting rid of any credit card debt with the free, 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Becoming a leader with Ash Beckham
The LGBTQ+ community needs leaders. Yet many of us are waiting until we graduate or get a promotion to step into leadership. But what if you don’t have to wait for some kind of external achievement? What if you can practice being a leader right now, as part of your everyday life?
Ash Beckham is an equality advocate and keynote speaker on a mission to spread inclusion and inspire queer folks to step into their power as leaders. She is also the author of Step Up: How to Live with Courage and Become an Everyday Leader.
On this episode of Queer Money, Ash joins us to explain how our non-traditional skills and life experiences qualify us to lead and why it’s beneficial to practice leadership in low-risk situations. Ash challenges us to develop empathy for people with different opinions and describes when it’s better to call people IN rather than calling them OUT.
Listen in for Ash’s insight on engaging in difficult conversations and learn how to step up and become an everyday leader in your community!
Listen to Ash share leadership tips:
- What inspired Ash to write a book about stepping up to be a leader in your community
- How our non-traditional skills and life experiences qualify us for leadership positions at work
- Why Ash suggests practicing leadership skills in low-risk situations
- Developing empathy for people with different opinions and understanding where they’re coming from
- How Ash thinks about the meme, ‘Don’t tell me you love me and then vote against me’
- What we can do to empower straight, white, cisgender men to be the allies we need
- The difference between calling somebody IN vs. calling them OUT (and when it’s appropriate to employ each strategy)
- Ash’s perspective on cancel culture and the inconsistency in our application of ‘the rules’ online
- Responsibility we have to educate ourselves before we engage in difficult conversations
- Why it’s invaluable for young and older queer people to share their lived experiences with each other
- The question leaders should ask their teams to help people be more authentic at work
Watch this week’s episode with Ash Beckham
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- What Michael Sayman Knows about LGBT Success
- Transgender Rights with Jack Knoxville
- How to Money with Jean Chatzky
Connect with Ash
- Ash’s Talk at Ignite Boulder
- Step Up: How to Live with Courage and Become an Everyday Leader by Ash Beckham
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Youtube
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Email [email protected]
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys (www.debtfreeguys.com) and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs and 3) save and invest for retirement.