What it could change if there were more rich gay people
Find out why Arlan Hamilton wants more rich gay people on this episode. Then download your FREE Queer Money Kickstarter, a 9-step Guide to Kickstart Your Journey to Financial Independence.
How having more rich gay people would positively impact the LGBTQ+ community
We’ve noticed a cognitive dissonance among the LGBTQ+ community: While we seem to hate billionaires, few of us would mind becoming one ourselves. And if there were more rich gay people, we could do positive things with that money and the power that comes with it. We could be the antidote to the strong voices speaking out against us, leveraging our wealth to serve ourselves, our families and the LGBTQ+ community. Arlan Hamilton is an investor who launched a $20M fund to serve underrepresented, underestimated founders. She is also a serial entrepreneur, podcaster, speaker and author. Her new book is called Your First Million: Why You Don’t Have to Be Born into a Legacy of Wealth to Leave One Behind.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Arlan joins us to discuss what inspired her to write Your First Million and why she’d like to see many more queer millionaires. She describes the mindset shift you need to start building a legacy of wealth and explains how she chooses to give back to the queer and Black communities she’s a part of.
Listen in for Arlan’s insight on leveraging your wealth for the benefit of others and learn how you can become a gay millionaire—and use your power for good!
Listen to get insight on why we need more rich gay people
Topics covered on why we need more rich gay people
- How reader feedback from her first book inspired Arlan to write Your First Million
- The mindset shift you need to start building a legacy of wealth
- Why it’s crucial for the LGBTQ+ community to stop minimizing ourselves and use our voices
- Why we need more gay millionaires in the US and around the world
- How good wealthy people can serve themselves, their families and their communities
- Arlan’s experiences being both rich and poor—and why rich is better!
- Examples of how Arlan leverages her wealth to benefit others
- The benefit of focusing on real vs. perceived success and being transparent with your audience
- How Arlan navigates the expectation to help others in her community
- Why Arlan prefers to give people in need information (rather than money alone)
Connect with Arlan
- Your First Million
- Arlan Hamilton on LinkedIn
- Arlan Was Here on Instagram
- Arlan Was Here on X
Resources on why we need more rich gay people
- Your First Million: Why You Don’t Have to Be Born into a Legacy of Wealth to Leave One Behind by Arlan Hamilton
- It’s About Damn Time: How to Turn Being Underestimated into Your Greatest Advantage by Arlan Hamilton
- Arlan on ABCNews.Go.Com
- Queer Black Wealth on YouTube
- Arlan Hamilton on Queer Money EP316
- Wealth Builder’s Pyramid
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on X
- Debt Free Guys on Youtube
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Email [email protected]
Watch this week’s episode on why we need more rich gay people
Previous 3 Podcast Episodes
- What Can I Do with My 401k as a Non US Citizen
- Securing Love: A Guide to Financial Documents for Same-Sex Couples
- 10 Great Gay Retirement Communities
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys (www.debtfreeguys.com), and the Queer Money® podcast hosts. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously, not fabulously broke, by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs and 3) save and invest for retirement.