Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our gay little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping queer people live lives they truly love inside and out. We think happiness is a 360-degree experience (purpose, love, money, wellness, and lifestyle) that you also deserve. After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
How much can you stretch your dollars outside the U.S.?
You want to retire in a place that’s LGBTQ-friendly? Yet, most LGBTQ-friendly cities in the US are ridiculously expensive. What if you retire abroad? Here’s how you can stretch your dollars further! Meanwhile, grab your free copy of the 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life.
Hear Brent and Michael’s digital nomad story:
Stretch your dollars in these LGBTQ friendly cities abroad
Brent Hartinger and Michael Jensen are a longtime gay couple who sold their house in Seattle in 2017 to travel the world as digital nomads. Both Brent and Michael work as novelists, and they write about their travels at Brent and Michael Are Going Places. Their experiences as gay nomads have also been featured on CBS Sunday Morning, LGBTQ Nation and in The New York Times.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Brent and Michael join us to offer advice for queer folks who want to retire abroad, explaining how they spend much less traveling the world than they did living in Seattle. They address the logistics of being a digital nomad, offering insight on managing your taxes, securing health insurance and navigating the visa application process from country to country. Listen in to understand how travel has given Brent and Michael an appreciation for other cultures and find out if becoming a digital nomad or expat living abroad is a good fit for you!
Topics covered on stretching your dollars
- Brent and Michael’s criticism of the materialistic American lifestyle
- Brent and Michael’s advice for queer folks who want to retire in an LGBTQ-friendly city abroad
- Brent and Michael’s experience as a gay couple in conservative countries around the world
- How Brent and Michael spend much less traveling the world than they did living in Seattle
- Why Brent and Michael work with an accountant who specializes in digital nomads to manage their taxes
- The value in joining Facebook groups for digital nomads or expats
- Why Brent and Michael keep an ACA policy in the US and buy travel medical insurance
- Examples of how healthcare costs are much lower in the rest of the world than in the US
- Brent and Michael’s insight on how the visa application process varies from country to country
- The language barrier associated with travel (and why English speakers don’t have to worry about it)
- How travel has given Brent and Michael an appreciation for other cultures and a better perspective of just how privileged they are
- Why Brent and Michael plan to be gay nomads for a very long time
Connect with Brent & Michael
Resources for your finances
- ‘Americans Say They Want a Simple, Authentic Life. But America Makes That Almost Impossible’ on Brent’s Blog
- ‘Being Digital Nomads Costs Us Half as Much as Our Lives Back in Seattle’ on Brent and Michael Are Going Places
- Foreign Earned Income Exclusion
- World Nomads
- How We Can Afford to Live in Spain for 3 Months Part 1 on Queer Money EP183
- How We Can Afford to Live in Spain for 3 Months Part 2 on Queer Money EP185
- Google Translate
- 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]